Posted on

Is shungite a rock or mineral?

Shungites is a rock and a mineral at the same time. You may ask, how is this possible? I will answer you, yes, it’s incredible, but it can very well be and that’s why.

shungite Question

Let’s figure this out together

First of all, we will define what a rock is. Secondly, we will define what a mineral is. Finally, we will define: Is shungite a rock or mineral. After that, we will use with you all the information received to confirm my statemen. So, we are getting started, is shungite a mineral or a rock?

What is a rock?

A rock is a large accumulation of one type of mineral or various mineral groups that are united in the earth’s crust due to natural processes. Rocks can be soft, loose, medium soft, as well as hard. The main distinguishing feature of a rock is a large area of occurrence in the earth’s surface. In addition, rocks are a mixture of various minerals. In other words, it has a heterogeneous structure. Here are some examples of rocks, Granite is a solid rock. Coal is a relatively hard rock. Chalk is a loose rock. And of course, we will not forget to add shungites to this list as a rock.


What is a mineral?

A mineral is a natural formation that is formed in the bowels of the earth or on its surface. These are solid bodies, the formation of which is the result of natural phenomena. The main feature of the mineral and its distinguishing feature is that the mineral has a homogeneous structure. Mineral, is a part of rocks.

Thus, a rock is a mixture of minerals. For example, one of the most common minerals on earth is quartz. This mineral is a part of many rocks. In addition, for example, you can also specify these minerals: feldspar, mica, diamond, amber, emerald, etc.

For example, a mixture of quartz minerals, feldspar and mica form a rock – Granite.
Thus, we can draw the following conclusion based on this information. Minerals are solid formations of a homogeneous structure. Rocks are a mixture of minerals.


Absurdity or contradiction

Great, you and I are great! But many of our readers have already noticed the contradiction. Shungites are in the category of rocks, as well as in the category of minerals. The author was so carried away by the story that he got confused in the definitions. This is probably absurd, or an author’s mistake! I will ask you, my friend, not to rush to conclusions. After all, we have not yet defined our rock from Russia.

Shungite rock or Mineral

In order to define what is Russian rock, we use the publicly available source Wikipedia.
Shungites is a Precambrian rock. The main chemical element is carbon. It has several varieties, and can also have different colors. Black, gray, brown.
At first glance, this is a very simple definition. It clearly and unambiguously states that Russian shungite is a rock. But, I will ask you to pay attention to the fact that c60 rock from Russia has several varieties. This is also indicated in the definition.
Indeed, Russian rock has several varieties and this fact is scientifically proven.

shungite rock with a pyrite and quartz
Russian raw shungite rock with a pyrite and quartz, type 3

What are the varieties of c60 rock from Russia?

  1. The first type is silver type 1. The concept of elite silver mineral has become fixed in the common speech. The carbon content is about 98-99 percent.
  2. The second type of the Russian mineral has gray color and matte sutface. It is also known as Petrovsky mineral. The carbon content is about 60%.
  3. The third type is black rock, similar to coal, gets your hands dirty. It also has the name classic. The carbon content is about 30%, the remaining 70% are various minerals, such as Mica, Quartz, Pyrite and others.


We take off our masks, gentlemen, is shungite a rock or mineral?

The first type Russian mineral, which has a silver color and a carbon content of about 99% is a mineral. On the contrary, black type 3 rock has only 30% carbon and many other minerals in its composition. In this regard, it is a rock. In addition, all three types form one large group which is also called rock.

Now we can absolutely answer the question: Is shungite a rock or mineral? This is a mineral and a rock at the same time. But, it is necessary to pay attention to what type of mineral we are talking about.

I sincerely hope this article was informative and interesting for you. I believe that you have received a clear answer to your question is shungite a rock or mineral.

Some more useful information

Let me also invite you to familiarize yourself with our scientific articles, in which we described in great detail about Rare Russian rock from Karelia.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.
In addition, in our online c60 store you can find various products from all typrs of this rare Karelian rock.